Thursday 21 September 2017

21 things I've learnt in 21 years


Being a summer baby means I have to wait nearly a whole year after all of my friends for my birthday. I mean, I can't complain as I never spent my birthday in school and in the future, I will be glad that I have to wait just that little bit longer to turn a year older. As it was my 21st birthday a couple of weeks ago, I started to reflect on the past 21 years and thought about all the things I've been taught by friends, family and every single person that has walked in and out of my life. It's interesting to see how much these people, whether they are no longer here or you still see everyday, make a difference on how you live your life. I'm in my early twenties now, even though I don't feel like it, and I'm starting to get older (and maybe wiser). Even though I'm meant to be an adult now, there are still times when I need to ask an older adult what the heck I'm doing but there are also times where not everyday goes just the way you want it to. And that's okay.

My 21 years have been a rollercoaster, but this has allowed me to learn many lessons and realise the important things in life. So here's to the good and the bad times, the real and the fake friends, the do's and the don't's. Here is 21 of the most important things I have learnt in 21 years:

1. It's okay if you don't have your life figured out yet. I have just finished a 3-year English Language degree and have come out of it still unsure about which direction I am heading in. You're still young, 21 is not old.

2. Everyone has bad days. You're allowed to cry, you're allowed to have bad moods. Not everyday has to be a perfect day.

3. Spend quality time with your grandparents. They're getting on. They won't be here forever. And they have a lot of wisdom to pass down to you.

4. Say yes more. You've got to make memories, right? These are the years to do it otherwise regret will kick in.

5. We don't deserve dogs. Cherish them.

6. It's okay to not feel your age. Believe me, I still think I'm 18 sometimes and am about to start university all over again. Acting like an adult can wait another day.

7. Just buy the coat. Stop worrying about money, it stops you doing things and getting the stuff you love.

8. Not everyone is nice. Manners cost nothing but unfortunately not everyone has them.

9. Realise who your friends are. When you're going through difficult situations, you find the people that go through them with you. Don't let them go.

10. Stop making the effort with people who clearly don't make the effort back. If they don't want to spend time with you, they won't (brutal).

11. Be positive. Always hope for the best. Believing in yourself and believing that you will be successful will get you to where you need to be.

12. Work hard now to help your future self.

13. Tell the people close to you how much you love them on a daily basis. Life is short, there's no harm in expressing your feelings.

14. It's okay to choose lying in bed in your pyjamas with a cup of tea over going out in a glittery dress with a vodka lemonade in hand. Being a granny at 21 isn't a problem, I promise you.

15. Coffee is an essential part of life. I don't whether its an "I'm now in my 20s, I need coffee to survive" kind of thing but getting through the day has proven difficult without a caffeine rush.

16. Drink lots of water.

17. Be kind to people. Kind people are my kinda people.

18. Dogs are everything.

19. Laughing is essential in relationships. There's no better feeling than uncontrollably laughing with the person that you love.

20. It's okay to still ask your parents 50 questions a day.

21. Love yourself. It's not just about keeping your heart healthy but your mind healthy too. Don't put yourself down. Think better of yourself. The more and more you grow to love yourself the more happiness you will bring to your life. If you're unhappy, talk to someone. Don't bottle it all up. You're amazing and you know you are.

All my love, Charlotte Rose x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig